Pages

Sunday, July 18, 2010

SLUMP

How did this happen so quickly. I've hit a slump in my training. Maybe, it's from taking last weekend off. I was out of town visiting a friend for her birthday, and I had all intentions of waking up and getting out for some mileage, but when I was woken up around 5:30AM by what sounded like coyotes. I made a quick decision against heading out the door at my mentally planned time of 6:30/7:00 before my friends woke up. Maybe it's due to the stiffness in my hip from twisting the wrong way in the shower the other day, and I'm afraid to cause real damage by running on it. Or maybe it's due to anxiety of having stomach issues the last 2 times I've headed out for longer mileage. I'm not sure what it is, but it's here, and I want it to go away. I also, know I have no reason to complain. A week and a half ago, my good friend D almost lost her nephew T to complications surrounding his fight against cancer. T is an amazing 8 year old, who has been battling cancer for the last 4 years. T has gone through more in his 8 years then any adult I know. And you know what?! The kid doesn't complain. He constantly has a smile on his face, and is always looking at the bright side of things. He's an amazing inspiration. He's actually the reason, I am considering getting outside my comfort zone, and will train for a Triathalon after I finish training for Nike. I will of course do it with Team in Training, and raise money in honor of T and his incredible battle with cancer. Well, back on track.. I pushed myself out the door today, and drove 20 miles north to run by the beach with a running group I signed up with via the internet. Granted, my alarm didn't go off this morning, I was feeling crappy, and didn't want to go. But I was woken up at 6:30, and I got myself dressed, and prepped to run 9-10 miles depending on how my body was feeling. Well, of course since I woke up late, I missed meeting up with the group. But I found a great parking spot, turned on my Garmin, and started out. I was so happy to hear the waves crashing next to me, and seeing the flat ground ahead of me. So I walked a bit to losen up the hip, and attempted to run. I felt defeated running since my hip was stiil tight and it hurt to run. So I decided to walk a bit longer and see what happened. The hip felt fine so I ran, yeah that didn't work either. So I cut my run down to a 4 mile walk (some power walking was involved as well). I kept telling myself, it's fine, and that I got out there and that's really all that matters. And in the long run, if I have to do the half on October 17th, then I'll do the half. It's not the end of the world. Now that it's out in the open, I'm done complaining and will be moving on, and will take advice from T and keep on smiling and doing what I can to help him.

No comments:

Post a Comment